Begin on the south side of West Main, proceed around the park to the south side of East Main, and then cross to the north side of East Main, around the Park, with a little jaunt up White Street and back to West Main. We will visit 21 historically significant places in Angelica.
THE ARNOLD HOME
Angelica Free Library
Dedicated in 1900 by Mr. & Mrs. Frank Sullivan Smith;
Colonial Room on east side offers a museum of local artifacts;
Library on west side; Assembly hall upstairs for plays & gatherings
Visit the library's site for hours, activities, and to search the card catalog
The Mapes Home
James Mapes agreed with Philip Church to complete by March 24, 1821; Style Federal and Greek revival; “Signature” window- in-peak on many local structures.
The Lloyd Home
1834-Built from Joncy stone for Ransom Lloyd; (Joncy stone was available for building since the millpond was being developed for several mills). Lloyd & Arnold (#1) homes built for sisters, Sophia Arnold and Julia Lloyd; In 1887, D.P. Richardson added an artistic porch, ornamental window caps, a brick-and-frame addition, and raised the roof over the stone part.
Post Office 100 years at this location
Built in 1885, and a Post Office since 1908; The word BAKERY on the west exterior hints to its early function; Etched glass east door;
Many of the people in the village still walk to the post office for their mail.
Elegant, lighted cupola provides extra lighting for the upstairs courtroom; First Republican Convention with a complete slate held here; Has served as a WW I armory, a gymnasium, school, polling place, & town hall; Listed specifically in the National Register of Historic Places
Former Grange & Presbyterian Church
Former Presbyterian Church (2nd – Marcus Whitman and Narcissa Prentiss married in the 1st in 1834); Built in 1856; Gaslight chandelier
25 E. Main
Postmaster J. B. Welch built this fine example of Georgian architecture in 1835; Apparent from cellar that this is a house built around a house
Van Campen Home
Moses Van Campen built house of brick he made from clay in the hill on the property; Revolutionary War veteran survived running the Seneca gantlet at Caneadea; Lived here until he died at 92. The Angelica Library has acquired Van Campen documents recently.
48 E. Main
Rev. Louis Thibou’s residence in 1831; Altered for classes 7th-12th and teacher training until 1909; Library (1800 volumes) and over 100 students
Van Wickle Home
30 E. Main
Built in 1802 by Evert Van Wickle, Church family land agent
Oldest structure in Allegany County; Colonial windows, 5 fireplaces, tumble latches; The first county court, first Presbyterian meeting, and first Masonic meeting were all held in this house.
22 E Main
Rear portion built in 1806; Catherine Mullender was the first baby born in Angelica; Of 28 doors, only 8 are without original latches;
In 1830, the front portion was added and a second story constructed over the back. This is the oldest of the two Mullender homes.
Built about 1820; Owned by Dr. Wm. Smith, Surgeon Gen.
& Health officer for Port of NY; Cistern for collecting rainwater;
Built in 1884 by former sheriff Joseph Gillies for $10,000
Gothic & Queen Anne; Cistern in cellar holds 125 barrels of water
Now B & B; The Third floor had plans for a private club room, smoking room, and billiards room combined, but it was never completed.
1847 Episcopal Church
Built (1847) to replace the 1831 church destroyed by fire;
Three registered Tiffany windows & an ornately carved sanctuary;
A small chapel in the rear is a notable feature of St. Paul's too;
Stone carriage step
Philip Church gave property (1826) to Alvan Burr whose wife Anna was
Moses Van Campen’s sister; Wooden pegs secure beams
The oldest section has an L-shaped pantry with a wooden sink, an upstairs bedroom & garret; Exterior siding is shiplapped with corners made to resemble brick.
In 1820, Philip Church gave this lot on Park Circle to
the town supervisors; Building constructed of locally made brick;
Now used by First Baptist Church next door.
1840s Carriage House behind Hartshorn House
Hartshorn House, now the Magnolia House
Corner of Park Circle
and West Main St. Classic Revival sold unfinished to the Hartshorns in
1850 by Theodore Haight, a tailor;
Pillars were trees boxed in and still visible in attic. Presently operates catering and lawn events as the Magnolia House.
The Lockhart House
In 1828 James Lockhart had business next door (later known as Buchannan Store (below); Dr. Frank Warner, dentist, had an office in wing
Built about 1835;
Braced-frame Greek Revival; Rear, oldest part, is two-room structure
built around a huge fireplace.
The Smith Home
home from the glory days of the Pittsburg, Shawmut, and Northern
Stained glass, crystal chandelier, parquet floors, antique furnishings& carved woodwork
Registered, Historic Inn;
The Sullivan Smith Home offers accommodations as The Angelica Inn. View rooms or contact innkeepers at www.angelica-inn.com